Monday, June 2, 2014

Four Blood Moons: Something Needs to Change


For those of you who aren't aware, another book on prophecy (profitsy?) is climbing up the bestseller lists. It is a bestseller because a lot of people are buying it. Purchasing it. Perhaps they are buying it as well. I’m not going to review the book here; if you would like to learn more about it you can browse the 1500 reviews left by other readers on amazon. From said reviews, my conclusion is that the majority of the market for this particular book is made of Bible-believing Christians. Readers who believe the Bible contains Truth, but they are desperately seeking more Truth. More specifically, they are hoping to learn truth about what is going to happen and when it is going to happen. How is this all going to end? When is this all going to end? Perhaps these blood moons will provide some clues…

While I am not surprised such a book is selling, this ongoing phenomenon of Evangelical America's fascination with the end times and Judgement Day has me wondering: How did we reach the point where the bulk of mainstream Christianity seems to be primarily focused on where we go when we die? Why is the perpetually imminent end of the world such a big deal? Why are we so fixated on the end times? If the end times are so important, why did Jesus, in all his recorded teachings, say nothing about his return? (Since I am not sophisticated enough to defend this argument, please refer to N.T. Wright’s Surprised by Hope to explore this further.) I don't know what the driving force behind this misdirection is, but I fear that when we Christians spend our time and resources reading about four blood moons we are missing the point. I fear we are missing it by a lunar mile.

Perhaps we should instead focus our energy on learning to build God’s Kingdom here and now. If we could somehow learn to truly follow Jesus, to truly trust in the Lord with all our hearts and allow him to direct our paths, perhaps we would be pleasantly surprised by the hope we discover in him right now. Perhaps then we wouldn't be so preoccupied with the mystery of the future. Imagine what the world would look like if all of us calling ourselves Christians could somehow learn to spread God’s love by truly following Jesus. Powerful things would happen. Amazing things. Far more amazing than a few lunar eclipses.

Please don’t misunderstand me. I do believe God can reveal himself any way he chooses. I’m not saying he can’t use four blood moons to tell us something is about to change. I hope something does change--and soon. I pray for change in myself. To learn to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with my God.

No comments: